The newly revised National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) makes much of the value in meaningful, ‘effective’ engagement. But in 2018, what does – and should – ‘effective engagement’ really involve? How can local participation be made genuinely easy for all? The webinar speakers considered the application of the word ‘effective’ in planning policy and the potential for its misuse or misinterpretation, before going on to discuss the merit and evolving impact of digital technology on the ways in which we consult and engage in 2018. The listening audience where also asked for their questions and opinions as the event progressed.
Over the course of an hour-long broadcast, the following was asked:
• Just how effective is the word ‘effective’? What issues of interpretation does its use typically cause?
• How is community engagement evolving? What influences are social, demographic and technological changes having on the process?
• What impact are new forms of analysis such as sentiment mapping having on results of consultation exercises?
• To what extent is handheld technology redefining how we democratise the consultation process?
• What do people still get wrong about the fundamentals of engagement?